"On disoit à Socrates que quelqu'un ne s'estoit aucunement amendé en son voyage: Je croy bien, dit-il, il s'estoit emporté avecques soy."
Montaigne, Essais, I, 39: "De la solitude"

"Oh there is blessing in this gentle breeze"
William Wordsworth, The Prelude, I, 1

vendredi 11 juillet 2014

Somewhere between Tempere and Ruovesi

Probably my best cycling day ever. Quiet, hilly, winding roads reminded me of Scotland - without the rain and less windy. In the morning I found these delicious tiny strawberries, what are they called? And filled a box of them. Later I found a quiet shore and swam, and it was as if the day had just begun. Up and down and up and down on earth roads - the tires remained valiant. Then in a glorious evening light I looked for a quiet place to sleep by a lake, and was invited to have dinner and stay over in one of the summer houses. I can't say it's entirely due to my newly-acquired Finnish skills (thanks Kat!) because the owners speak English,  but I am convinced these skills are necessary - although not sufficient.
The roads and the way they lead to places keep me busy. I don't have time for much else at the moment.
The rear deraileur is obviously and noisily at the end of its (long and respectable) mechanical life. I should find a new one, but were?
I'm trying to reach the north as fast as I can, because of the longer and longer days and also trying to make the most of the favourable weather which won't last forever.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire