"On disoit à Socrates que quelqu'un ne s'estoit aucunement amendé en son voyage: Je croy bien, dit-il, il s'estoit emporté avecques soy."
Montaigne, Essais, I, 39: "De la solitude"

"Oh there is blessing in this gentle breeze"
William Wordsworth, The Prelude, I, 1

jeudi 10 juillet 2014

Hammenlinna

To Hammenlinna through big and small roads. Small roads all but double distances but at least treble pleasure.

My bike fell and my compass broke. To make up for this loss I swam in the lake. Other families were there having fun, and I was invited to stay over. But it was only five o' clock, and I was in shape after swimming, so I reluctantly declined. In fact, after Hammenlinna (Sibelius's birthplace), it proved to be very difficult to find even a piece of lawn to pitch a tent. People are too surprised, are not used to being asked such things, and mostly don't speak English. It is urgent to learn enough Finnish to establish basic contact.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire