"On disoit à Socrates que quelqu'un ne s'estoit aucunement amendé en son voyage: Je croy bien, dit-il, il s'estoit emporté avecques soy."
Montaigne, Essais, I, 39: "De la solitude"

"Oh there is blessing in this gentle breeze"
William Wordsworth, The Prelude, I, 1

mercredi 6 août 2014

Uppsala

The day began with some yellow raspberries which were, I think, cloudberries, but I'll have to check: very tasty anyway. Thanks!
Then it was hot and damp on the road.
Gamla Uppsala with its burial mounds.
I saw a house the roof of which looked like an upside-down French flag. Maybe I'm secretely homesick.
Linnaeus, considerably idealized in this statue.
The Gustavianum, former main building of Uppsala University, built in the early 17th century, now a museum. Will visit it tomorrow.
The cathedral, where I met Petter (warmshowers contact), who led me to the wonderful house where he lives with Linnea, Agnes and other students. We had a delicious dinner: thank you so much! We talked about all the beautiful things that one can see in the North, including ice crystals, elks, deer, multiple suns and columns of light.
There was a major discovery for me: snus. A few days ago, intrigued by the ICA fridges, not very cold, in which you find small round boxes, forbidden if you're under 18, I bought one of those boxes. Inside I found small brown bags and tried to chew one, but it was so strong and strange I had to give up. I thought I was doing it wrong, and kept the box until I got some more information. Today Ulrika explained to me how snus works: you are not supposed to chew it, of course (chew snus, really!), you just tuck it somewhere in your mouth and leave it there. Ulrika always has one in her mouth.
So I tried it the right way, without chewing. And after one minute I felt very, very high, dizzy, and in a very good mood. It felt like the sensations people describe when they're high on weed. I suddenly understood why people smoke. I'll keep the box for special occasions, since nicotine seems a bit strong for me: I can't cycle and giggle at the same time.
The air smells of the huge fire forest, West from here, and there's some smoke around.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire