"On disoit à Socrates que quelqu'un ne s'estoit aucunement amendé en son voyage: Je croy bien, dit-il, il s'estoit emporté avecques soy."
Montaigne, Essais, I, 39: "De la solitude"

"Oh there is blessing in this gentle breeze"
William Wordsworth, The Prelude, I, 1

mercredi 3 septembre 2014

Bourtange, and more monkey puzzles

Welcome to the Netherlands, with all its friendly cycle lanes!
Just on the border between Germany and the Netherlands, in a place called Boutrange, stands a star-shaped fort, originally built in 1593 during the 80-years war and the Dutch revolt against the Spaniards who still occupied Gröningen. At that time the area was very marshy. In the middle of the 19th century, the fort had no more use: it was more or less taken apart and half-forgotten, until its potential as a "history place" became clear in the 1960s. Since tourists where Boutrange's last chance, the fort was then rebuilt and turned into a fine mid-18th century UNESCO-approved fortified complex, with a windmill and all. It looks quite nice on the map, and the thing is pretty, too.
Here is only a sample of the innumerable and magnificent monkey puzzles I saw on the way.
I hope I'm not boring anyone with either star-shaped forts or monkey puzzles.
I am now in Emmen, at Marianne's house: we had excellent rice with Indonesian dressing, and fun conversations. THANKS! I'm very happy to sleep inside, because last night it was very humid and I caught a cold...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire